[Blog Home] | [Home] | [Forums] | [Wiki]


Thursday, February 21, 2008

Nothing to Report

Miami didn't make a move at the deadline.

That is nothing to report - yet, we find ourselves reporting something.

Riley didn't pull off any more trades but instead stood Pat. I am not getting this.

Miami has very little financial flexibility even with Jason Williams and Ricky Davis coming off the books this summer because they are way over the cap. That is why dealing for Marion was a good thing in the sense that it allows Miami to be free of that contract that Shaq was holding over the Heat for another 2 more seasons.

Still, this has to be an illustration of how bad the NBA's financial situation is. They have money - they generate lots of money. But to have your salary cap at a paltry $58M (after this season) is ridiculous. You can't even afford gas at that cost.

I think the Heat missed out on an opportunity to really overhaul and reload. Sure, they will most likely get a good pick in this summer's draft but they won't have much else to work with in terms of improving the roster.

2 comments:

JasonD76 said...

I totally agree, Jonny. Davis and Williams obviously aren't the long term answers here in Miami. I sat around checking the trade rumors for weeks thinking we were going to do something and Riley was going to attempt to address team needs and redeem himself in my eyes. I didn't expect the roster to be championship worthy overnight, but I certainly expected a move that showed we were taking steps towards improvement. Heck, I would've loved to see Kyle Lowry in a Heat uni. I'm a die hard Heat fan (always will be), but Riley dropped the ball here.

Unknown said...

Boy did he.

Now, we will most likely lose Williams and Davis and get nothing in return. That is 4 players - Kapono and Posey - that we will have lost and got nothing in return.

What is worse is that we won't gain any financial flexibility - we are going to be slightly over the cap after we lose their contracts anyway. Frankly, I don't know how we are going to get out of this mess (but this is another reason why I hate the NBA's financial rules).